RYAN Tubridy and his agent Noel Kelly should be applauded for offering to address the controversy over RTรโs undisclosed payments of hundreds of thousands of euro to the former Late Late Show star presenter.
That was the view of Minister for Housing Minister Darragh OโBrien, who also said he welcomed a decision by new Director General of RTร, Kevin Bakhurst, to stand down the executive board of management of the public service broadcaster.Kevin Bakhurs
Mr Tubridy and Mr Kelly are scheduled to appear at two back-to-back Oireachtas committee hearings to discus the matter on Tuesday.
Speaking in Limerick today (Monday), Minister OโBrien said he did not believe Mr Bakhurstโs decision to clear the RTร executive was premature despite Mr Tubridy and Mr Kelly having not yet appeared before the two Oireachtas hearings.
โNo, I don’t think it effects whatever Ryan Tubridy or his agent actually says at committee and I welcome the fact that they offered to come to the committee and they need to be commended for that,โ Minister OโBrien said.
Minister OโBrien added that the departure of the RTร executive board was โjust the beginningโ of reforming the broadcaster, but that this would be โa difficult processโ.
While he awaited โwith interestโ the contributions of Mr Tubridy and Mr Kelly at Tuesdayโs Oireachtas hearings, he said he felt it was necessary for the focus โto move onโ with actual reform at RTร.
โWhilst the revelations can be very interesting and while I understand why people and the media would be interested in that, there is obviously fundamental changes needed with RTร, and we need to embark on that process as soon as we can.โ
Minister OโBrien said it was imperative that, to rebuild trust in RTร, the government needed to support reforms at the national broadcaster โto ensure it is done as a matter of priorityโ.
โWhatโs really important is that confidence is rebuilt in RTร. Itโs clear to me that major reforms are needed and that reform agenda needs to be supported.โ
โThe public are rightly concerned, and, as the main broadcaster within the state, itโs really important that RTร commands the confidence of our people, and thatโs been damaged over the last number of weeks – we want to see that rebuilt.โ
Minister OโBrien added that, the recent revelations at RTร were โone thingโ, but he said a reform plan was required โto actually make sure they donโt happen again, that the culture within the organisation is looked at, and how that can be improved for staffโ.
โMany who arenโt on the big, big salaries, who are working really hard, feel really let down.โ
Following an audit of its accounts, RTร revealed that between 2017 and 2022, Mr Tubridy received a series of payments totalling โฌ345,000 above his annual published salary.
Releasing a statement last month after the scandal broke, Mr Tubridy said RTรโs โaccounting treatment and publication of payments made to me between 2017 and 2022 contained serious errorsโ.
The former Late Late Show host said he bore โno responsibility for the corporate governance in RTร or how or what they publish in their accountsโ, but he acknowledged that โwhen my earnings were published I should have asked questions at the time and sought answers as to the circumstances which resulted in incorrect figures being publishedโ.
โI didnโt, and I bear responsibility for my failure to do so. For this, I apologise unreservedly.โ
โAt the centre of all of this is trust. The trust of colleagues in RTร and the trust of a great many people who listen to my show. To them, I wholeheartedly apologise for my error of judgement.โ
โSeparately, it has been reported that I did not take a pay cut over the last number of years. This is simply not true. Over the period of my contract with RTร, I have been asked to take several reductions in salary and I did. Indeed, between 2012 and today, my pay from RTร was cut by approximately 40 per cent.
โI also wish to respond to suggestions that this issue had some bearing on my decision to step down from hosting the Late Late Show. It did not.
Mr Tubridy said he was โdisappointedโ that RTร had decided that for editorial reasons he should not continue broadcasting his radio show, adding that he wanted to return to the radio show, โa job I love, as soon as possible and I hope my listeners and my colleagues appreciate my sincerity on thisโ.
Mr Tubridy has since disputed RTEโs claim that its contract with him came to an end when he stood down from The Late Late Show in May.